Summer translates to carefree fun in the sun, outdoor activities, and social gatherings, but it also invites unhealthy cravings. Foods that people consider classic refreshments, snacks, and desserts rack up excess calories. If the goal is to stay slim and summertime fine, the last thing you want is to accumulate waste in the body. Unfortunately, summer snacks and drinks can easily make that happen.
That’s where detox iced teas come enter the equation. Sip rejuvenating beverages that enhance hydration efforts and simultaneously aid with flushing harmful toxins out of the body. Regular consumption of these detox iced teas may aid weight loss efforts by increasing metabolism. It’s important to note that drinking detox teas and maintaining an unhealthy diet will not yield positive results. The teas do not simply cancel out poor lifestyle choices and unhealthy eating habits. Losing weight requires a multi-faceted approach, and these teas merely enhance weight loss efforts.
How Can Teas Boost Weight Loss?
One of the primary compounds of green tea leaves is caffeine. It acts as a mild stimulant that works to improve exercise performance and fat burning. According to research, the most impressive aspect of green tea’s nutritional profile is the antioxidant content. Researchers confirmed that drinking green tea works to slowly increase blood antioxidant levels. Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is the standout antioxidant in green tea and it has been known to boost metabolism.
In order to burn fat, the body has to break down fat cells and move them into the bloodstream. EGCG works to inhibit an enzyme that breaks down norepinephrine, a hormone involved in fat burning. By inhibiting this enzyme, norepinephrine increases to enhance the breakdown of fat cells. Caffeine may also enhance the efforts of EGCG on fat cells. Additionally, EGCG increases the body’s ability to burn more calories, even at resting metabolic rate. Most studies confirmed that people who drank green tea experienced a 3-4% increase in metabolism. If you follow a 2,000 calorie per day diet, that translates to about 60-80 calories.
We gathered three impressive detox iced tea recipes that can enhance your weight loss efforts. Sip them throughout summer and let us know how you enjoy them in the comments.
Detox Blueberry Coconut Iced Green Tea
- 2 green tea bags
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1.5 tablespoons raw honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups coconut water, boiled
- Add the tea bags, blueberries, honey, and lemon juice to a heat-safe pitcher.
- After boiling the coconut water, pour it into the pitcher. Allow the ingredients to steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and serve over ice. Garnish with optional fresh blueberries and mint.
Cinnamon Turmeric Detox Iced Tea
- 1 green tea bag
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 4 cups warm water
- Add the tea bag, cinnamon, turmeric, and raw honey to a heat-safe pitcher.
- Pour the warm water into the jar and stir gently. Allow this to steep for five minutes.
- Remove the tea bag and serve over ice. Garnish with additional cinnamon or turmeric.
Lemon Ginger Basil Iced Tea
- 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup basil leaves
- 5 thin slices of ginger root, peeled
- 1 green tea bag
- 3 teaspoons raw honey
- Cut the lemons in half and squeeze the juice into a big pitcher. Make sure to avoid dropping seeds into the pitcher.
- Add the squeezed lemons to the pitcher, along with the basil, sliced ginger, and green tea bag.
- Pour enough warm water into the pitcher to completely submerge all of the ingredients. Add the honey, stir gently, and steep for five minutes.
- Remove the tea bag, lemon halves, ginger slices, and basil by pouring the tea through a sieve.
- Serve the liquid over ice and enjoy.