People who shave on a regular basis are all too familiar with two things: razor burn and ingrown hairs. There’s nothing more annoying than irritating ingrown hairs, which are curly hairs that get trapped under the skin. They can get infected with pus, become red and irritated, and can leave small scars if you continue to pick at them.
Who Gets Ingrown Hairs?
Both men and women can develop ingrown hairs. Men and women with thick hair growth commonly experience them, primarily from incorrect waxing, tweezing, or reverse shaving. It’s also possible to develop ingrown hairs if you wear tight clothing or clothing made from lycra and other synthetic materials.
Quick Tips To Prevent Or Get Rid Of Ingrown Hairs:
- Always exfoliate (especially before you shave)
- Keep the skin moisturized and clean
- Apply ice/cold water after shaving
- Do not reverse shave or wax
- Do not irritate an existing ingrown by repeated shaving
- Wear loose clothing to let your skin breathe
- Use tea tree oil, apple cider, vinegar, and other natural ingredients
Don’t let ingrown hairs affect your self-confidence. They don’t own your life and you can use a variety of natural remedies to get rid of them. Use the following DIY scrubs and say goodbye to those unsightly ingrown hairs.
DIY Brown Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2.5 tablespoons jojoba oil
- 4 teaspoons raw organic honey
- 5 drops tea tree oil
- 7 drops lavender essential oil
- Add the brown sugar to a wide-mouthed jar.
- Pour in the jojoba oil and honey and mix well. Once those ingredients are thoroughly combined, mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover the jar and store in the refrigerator so it lasts for a while.
- When ready to use, scoop out a tiny bit and rub on the affected area. Use daily in the shower to prevent ingrown hairs.
Tea Tree Scrub
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 10 drops tea tree oil
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a wide-mouthed jar, screw on the lid, and store in a cool, dry place.
- When ready to use, scoop out a tiny bit and rub on the affected area. This works best after you shave.
Coffee And Yogurt Scrub
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons coffee grounds
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil, melted
- the juice of 1 lemon
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into a wide-mouthed jar and store in the fridge to keep fresh.
- When ready to use, use a thumbnail-sized amount on the affected area. Rinse it off with warm water after leaving it on for one minute.