The human body has the ability to naturally cleanse itself and balance hormones, in addition to hundreds of other daily functions. Sometimes, the body’s ability to regulate hormones is hindered because of the foods in the Standard American Diet. There are trillions of cells in each person’s body that all communicate via hormones. Hormones are the messengers, helping you to achieve optimum health. When there’s a hormonal imbalance, however, your health can take a dive.
If your hormones aren’t balanced, you can experience weight gain, mood swings, unhealthy cravings, or low energy levels. For example, when you are stressed out you have an overproduction of cortisol, the stress hormone. These hormones can cause headaches, abnormal sleep patterns, and poor digestion. Similarly, it is possible to experience low sex drive if there is an imbalance of sex hormones.
Enter healing through food. Rather than immediately resorting to medication, you can use food to help balance your hormones and improve your overall health. Below we have three drinks that can help rebalance hormones for your adrenals, your thyroid, and your sexual health.
If you sleep poorly at night, feel sluggish during the day, get a second wind of energy in the afternoon, and are irritable for no reason, your adrenals could be suffering. While adrenal fatigue is difficult to diagnose, it is fairly common. It happens when your brain and adrenals aren’t communicating like they should. Typically, stress hormones are too high or low when your adrenals are fatigued, so make this drink to give your adrenals some love.
- 1 teaspoon ashwagandha powder
- 1 teaspoon rhodiola powder
- 1 teaspoon holy basil powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place the herbs in a mug and pour 1-2 cups of boiling water over them. Let this steep for about 15 minutes. You can drink warm or pour over ice.
The thyroid, while it is a small gland in the body, is responsible for every cell functioning like it should. It helps cells metabolize, so other things won’t function properly if your thyroid isn’t working like it should. Weight gain, depression, poor digestion, brain fog, or hair loss, are all common symptoms of thyroid problems. Try this drink to boost thyroid health.
- 1 cup organic coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon organic virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 Brazil nuts
- 1 avocado, skin removed
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 cup fresh mixed berries
- 1 banana, frozen overnight
- Blend all of the ingredients together in a blender until you get your desired consistency.
Low sex drive, depression, anxiety, or weight gain can sometimes be attributed to a hormonal imbalance. Having perfectly balanced estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone levels is like walking a tightrope. To feel confident about yourself, try drinking this to balance those hormones.
- 2 cups organic coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon shilajit powder
- 1 teaspoon mucuna pruriens powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Blend all of the ingredients in a blender.
- Pour the blended ingredients into a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from the heat once the liquid is warm. Sip on this slowly.