Exfoliation is an important step in any skin care routine. It’s a crucial process that aids with the removal of dead skin cells on the surface of your skin. The skin sheds these dead skin cells every 30 days, but sometimes it cannot get rid of them properly. This can result in clogged pores or dry, flaky skin.
Since there are so many exfoliation scrubs and tools, it can be hard to know which one is best. Do you go for the cucumber mint one or buy the one you keep seeing on commercials? Or do you make the responsible choice and opt for one that has very few chemicals? Well, if you choose a minimally processed, chemical-free option, why don’t you just make your own scrub to exfoliate your skin? It’s quite simple and you may already have the ingredients you need in your kitchen.
When Should You Exfoliate?
Well, this will entirely depend on daily routine, your skin type, and what you want to get out of exfoliating. People with dry or normal skin may only need to exfoliate once or twice per week, while others with oily skin require exfoliation every other day. For people with sensitive skin, it’s important to never exfoliate excessively.
Gentle exfoliation can help contribute to brighter, tone skin with a smooth appearance. Additionally, exfoliation can increase collagen production, which helps to improve skin elasticity. The skin develops wrinkles as you age because the dermis loses elastin. Promoting collagen production via exfoliation may reduce wrinkles and fine lines by keeping skin tight and healthy.
If you want to properly exfoliate, though, you need the right ingredients. Some of the best exfoliating ingredients are in the following three scrub recipes. If you make them, let us know how they work for you in the comments below. Happy exfoliating!
Almond & Avocado Face Scrub
Perfect for dry skin, this face scrub works to give life to dull skin. Even if your skin is oily, you may enjoy using this scrub. Did you know that oily skin can sometimes be the result of dry skin? If this is the case, this scrub is meant for you.
- 1/2 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- Add all of the ingredients to a small glass bowl and mix to combine.
- Before using, make sure to clean your face.
- Massage the scrub gently in circular motions with your fingertips. Rinse away after a couple minutes.
Brown Sugar Face Scrub
Looking for a face scrub for all skin types? You just found it! This is an effective scrub that uses the exfoliating power of brown sugar, which is mild enough for sensitive skin, and gets the job done. Plus, the aroma of this scrub is intoxicating.
- 1.5 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon argan oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mixed essential oils (lavender, peppermint, and rose)
- In a small bowl, use your fingertips to mix the sugar, honey, and argan oil.
- Drop in the essential oils and continue to mix in circular motions.
- Start exfoliating gently in circular motions. After a couple minutes, rinse with warm water and then allow your face to air dry.
- Remove any residual honey with a washcloth.
Coffee & Coconut Scrub
Besides being a delicious duo, coffee and coconut were made to revitalize your facial skin. Coffee grounds exhibit beneficial antioxidants that help nourish the skin, working to improve tone and elasticity. Keep in mind that coffee grounds may be too intense for people with sensitive skin. If this is the case, replace coffee grounds with almond meal.
- 1 tablespoon coffee grounds
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- Add the coffee grounds to a small bowl and use your finger tips to mix in the coconut oil.
- Once the mixture is thoroughly combined, gently massage it into your skin. Leave it on for a couple minutes before rinsing away with warm water.