If you are a parent, or someone with sensitive skin, you probably look at the ingredient lists of skin care products with a critical eye. Fragrances are just as suspect as natural flavors. The last thing you want to do is apply a skin care product that leaves your skin itchy, dry, or irritated. Because finding safe, natural products can be a challenge, making your own skin care products is often the best choice. Such is the case for this all-natural homemade baby lotion.
DIY skin care products are having a moment because more and more people prefer natural ingredients to harmful chemicals. Some people think that making skin care products is too much of a commitment. There are some recipes that take a lot of time to make, but a recipe like this homemade baby lotion is quite simple. Although it isn’t so easy that a baby could make it, the lotion is perfectly safe for sensitive skin and babies. Continue reading to learn how the ingredients are perfectly safe for sensitive skin.
A Quick Note: make sure to do a patch test of each of the ingredients on your baby prior to using it regularly. If there is no reaction within 24 hours, the ingredient is generally safe for use.
High in fatty acids, cocoa butter has a creamy texture that the skin can easily absorb. It melts at body temperature and can be a great option if the baby has dry skin. If the baby has oily skin, cocoa butter may not be a great option, as it can be too heavy and oily for their skin type. Cocoa butter contains a lot of antioxidants, which work to fight free radicals that can cause early signs of aging. These antioxidants also help protect the skin and keep it as healthy as possible. Cocoa butter also contains cocoa mass polyphenol, a substance that inhibits the production of immunoglobulin (IgE), which aggravates symptoms of eczema.
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer and is a completely safe ingredient to help protect your baby’s delicate skin. Skin experts concur that coconut oil is an easily accessible remedy for a range of skin and hair issues in both babies and people with sensitive skin. Coconut oil contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help moisturize the skin and provide a protective barrier, keeping the baby’s skin safe from dryness. Plus, coconut oil contains vitamin E, which plays an important role in skin repair and the prevention of premature wrinkles.
Vitamin E Oil
As a natural antioxidant, vitamin E oil works to neutralize free radicals. Your little one is probably not too concerned with early signs of aging, though. The main reason that this homemade baby lotion contains vitamin E oil is because it helps form a barrier between the skin and the environment. That helps to seal in moisture and protect the skin from things like sun damage.
Homemade Baby Lotion
- 1/4 cup organic cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp vitamin E oil
- 3 drops therapeutic grade lavender essential oil (optional)
- Place the cocoa butter and coconut oil in a heat-safe glass measuring cup. Place the measuring cup in a small saucepan with an inch or two of water in it.
- Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat down to a low simmer. Stir the cocoa butter and coconut oil frequently until melted.
- Once fully melted, remove from heat and then stir in vitamin E oil and optional lavender essential oil.
- Place the measuring cup in the fridge and remove once the mixture has hardened.
- Remove from the fridge and whip the mixture with a hand mixer with one whisk attached. It will take about five minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Scoop into a glass jar, screw on the lid, and then store in a cool, dark place. Use when ready.