The Prophet Muhammad reportedly said that the seeds of the black cumin plant (commonly known as black seed) could “cure everything but death.” Cure is a strong word, but he may have been onto something. Nearly every day some new study comes out touting the benefits of black cumin seeds. Originally from Egypt, black cumin grows in a tiny pod that requires soaking before the tiny seeds can be released. Upon consumption, the body benefits from a powerful substance called crystalline nigellone as well as over a hundred other compounds.
Take a look at this amazing list to read more about the benefits of Black Seed.
1. Asthma. Research suggests that taking black seed extract by mouth improves coughing, wheezing and lung function in people with asthma.
2. Infection. Researchers at Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College found that Black Seed oil inhibited the growth of 67% of the antibacterial-resistant “super bugs” they tested. This is an important finding as scientists scramble to find new ways to kill off infections that are becoming increasingly resistant to standard anti-bacterial regiments.
3. Cancer. Croatian scientists determined that two phytochemicals found in Black Seed reduced tumors in mice by 52%. But this is only the beginning: studies by researchers all over the world have found Black Seed to have a powerful effect on all sorts of cancers from liver to lung, brain to breast, leukemia to colon.
4. Liver Health. In a recent study, scientists discovered that black seed oil benefits the function of the liver and helps prevent both damage and disease.
5. Diabetes. Researchers from the Indian Council of Medical Research found that black seed oil helped those suffering from diabetes in a number of ways. The compound caused partial regeneration of pancreatic cells, increased lowered serum insulin concentrations, and decreased elevated glucose. They went on to say that it worked as well as metformin, a popular diabetes drug, without any of the side effects.
6. Weight Loss. The Journal of Diabetes and Metabolic Disorders determined that that black seed oil was amongst “the most effective natural remedies on the planet” for those trying to lose weight. Black Seed addresses several weight gain triggers such as appetite, glucose absorption, cholesterol levels, and triglycerides.
7. Hair. Probably one of the most unique black seed oil benefits is its uncanny ability to help restore hair loss. No one quite understands why it happens, but it’s not too hard to guess that it has something to do with its powerful antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.
8. Skin. Iranian researchers found that it was as effective as the skin cream Betamethasone in decreasing severity of hand eczema.
9. High Blood Pressure. Early research suggests that taking black seed extract twice daily for 8 weeks might slightly improve blood pressure in some people.
10. Opiate Withdrawal. Research has suggested that black seed oil taken by mouth three times a day may decrease symptoms associated with heroin withdrawal.
Bonus: Epilepsy. We’ve included it here, because the study was very small. But in any case, researchers found that Black Seed extract significantly reduced seizure activity in children suffering from Epilepsy.
Conclusion. Clearly, Black Seed is a powerful natural remedy for all sorts of ailments and diseases. For those of us who are lucky enough to be healthy already, a daily regiment of Black Seed may help keep you that way.