Nobody wants to walk by a mirror and see a flaky face that looks as dry as the arid Utah salt flats. Sadly, dry skin is par for the course during the colder fall and winter months. So what can you do to provide your skin with the moisture it needs during these times? Some people resort to special oils and high-end skin care products, but it’s much easier to use simple ingredients that nourish the skin.
That’s why we’re in love with the DIY frankincense whipped face cream in this article. There are several steps involved, but the ingredient list isn’t out of this world. You don’t need to seek out rare clay from the hinterlands of Nepal or saffron from the mountains of Brazil. Get your hands on some quality ingredients and your skin will love you forever. In fact, you’ll probably love yourself even more when you look at hydrated skin that looks like it could be in a beauty commercial. Let’s take a look at some of the standout ingredients in this cream.
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil:
Ylang ylang has antiseptic, antispasmodic, sedative, and antidepressant properties, and it’s a popular oil in aromatherapy. The oil is extracted from the flower of the ylang ylang tree, which is popularly grown throughout Asia. When you apply the essential oil on the skin, it helps to slow the signs of aging and combat skin irritations. A few preliminary studies found that the terpenoids in ylang ylang may be viable treatment options for numerous skin disorders. Several tests on cancerous melanoma skin cells found that the terpenoid compounds inhibited growth. In a nutshell, the antioxidants in ylang ylang essential oil help protect skin cells from damage.
Aloe Vera Gel:
According to dermatologists, the gel from the aloe vera succulent has healing and medicinal properties. The inherent antioxidants, amino acids, and vitamins have been known to benefit skin conditions like psoriasis, cold sores, and even burns and frostbite. When it comes to dry skin, aloe vera should be one of your go-to ingredients. The high water content (aloe vera is 98% water) helps to hydrate, moisturize, and soothe dry skin. Additionally, the skin easily absorbs aloe vera gel, helping to accelerate the production and release of collagen.
Frankincense Essential Oil:
Distilled from the resin of the frankincense tree, frankincense essential oil has a woody aroma that has a hint of spice. Aromatherapists typically incorporate it into calming blends because it has sedative properties that combat stress. When used topically, frankincense helps to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and discoloration. The astringent properties aid these processes and the nutritional content promotes the growth of new skin cells. Frankincense also works to disinfect and tighten pores, which helps to reduce inflamed skin.
DIY Frankincense Whipped Face Cream
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons jojoba oil
- 3/4 ounce beeswax pastilles
- 1 cup aloe vera gel
- 10 drops frankincense essential oil
- 10 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- Add the coconut oil, jojoba oil, and beeswax pastilles to the top of a double boiler. Fill the bottom part with a couple inches of water and place over low heat.
- Gently stir the oil mixture until it is combined and sufficiently melted.
- Pour this mixture into a food processor and allow it to cool and harden.
- Once it has hardened, break up the mixture with a fork and mix in about one tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Blend the mixture for 30 seconds and then add the rest of the aloe vera gel to the food processor through the top while blending. It will take a couple minutes to thoroughly combine.
- Once the mixture looks like a thick, fluffy lotion, drop in the essential oils and mix for another 30 seconds.
- Store the mixture in an airtight glass jar in a cool dry place. You can apply this cream on any area of the skin that needs moisture. It’s best to use it after washing your face and patting it dry.