The head is one of the most common pain sites in the body. A headache is defined by any pain or discomfort in the head. Headaches can occur in one isolated spot or different locations at the same time. One can experience a throbbing sensation, or feel as though his/her head is clamped in a vise. Primary headaches can stem from over-activity of the brain, stressed blood vessels, muscles, or pain in the neck or head. Secondary headaches are usually symptoms of other conditions that stimulate nerves in the head region.
We have written about the fact that essential oils are beneficial for naturally relieving headaches. The reason they are beneficial is because you inhale the scents and the healing properties are also absorbed through your skin. Some essential oils are a little too powerful to be applied directly on the skin. You may need to combine them with carrier oils, or in this case, make a base to have a natural balm.
- 3 tablespoons beeswax
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons jojoba oil
- 8 drops frankincense essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 6 drops spearmint essential oil
- 6 drops lavender essential oil
- 8 drops basil essential oil
- A Double Boiler
- Fill the bottom half of your double boiler with water and set it over medium-high heat. Put on the top half of the boiler once the water is simmering. Add the beeswax and keep an eye on it.
- While the wax is melting, line up some little containers (think small lip balm jars). You should be able to use about eight one-ounce jars.
- Once the wax is melted and clear, stir in the coconut and jojoba oils until they are melted. Remove from the heat once they are melted.
- Pour in the essential oils and mix well. Divide this balm amongst the different jars. Leave these jars open on the counter and allow them to cool until they are hard (about 40 minutes).
- Store these in a cool dry place.
How To Use:
- Take about a pea-sized amount of the balm and apply it to the area of tension, for example, the back of the neck or any sore muscle. You can also apply it to the temples when you have a headache.