Suffering from puffy eyes, dark circles, or fine lines is no way to go through life. Unfortunately, the stressors of everyday life can lead to anxiety, depression, or insomnia, also known as the holy trinity of sleep interference. So what do people with puffy eyes or dark circles do? They turn to chemical face or eye serums with high hopes of their skin looking like the models in skin care commercials.
What if we told you that you didn’t have to turn to chemical skin care products to make the skin around your eyes look more youthful? Well, it’s the truth! Powerful anti-aging compounds exist in coffee, cacao butter, beeswax, and rosehip oil, which are the four ingredients in this eye cream.
Coffee For The Skin?
People praise coffee because they consider it to be life’s blood, especially when they are drained of energy and require a pick-me-up. Little do they know that coffee beans contain antioxidants that help firm up and tighten the skin, in addition to restoring brightness and damaged skin. The caffeine in coffee works to improve blood flow to the face, which contributes to healthy skin cell production and reduced puffiness. Since dark circles are caused by stagnant blood around the eye area, coffee helps circulate the blood and reduce that dark appearance.
Cacao Butter For The Skin
Make sure that you get cacao butter and not cocoa butter. Cacao butter is replete with vitamins, minerals, and polyphenols that nourish the skin. Studies have shown that the polyphenols can improve skin elasticity, skin tone, regenerate skin cells, boost collagen production, and reduce signs of aging.
Rosehip Oil For The Skin
Working to penetrate the lower layers of the skin, where skin cell regeneration takes place, rosehip oil assists with repairing damaged skin tissue and increasing collagen production. Rosehip oil contains high amounts of vitamins C & E and omega-3s and omega-6s, all of which help to tighten the skin, reduce dark circles, and balance oil glands.
Beeswax For The Skin
Beeswax works to hydrate, condition, and soothe the skin, but it can also exfoliate and repair damaged skin tissue. Many commercial beauty products contain beeswax because of its ability to reduce itchy or irritated skin, and slow the signs of aging. Beeswax acts as a protective layer on the skin, working to help the skin retain moisture while also allowing it to breathe.
DIY Eye Cream
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground coffee beans
- 2 tablespoons rosehip oil
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao butter
- 2 teaspoons beeswax pellets
- Add the coffee grounds and rosehip oil to a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, add a few inches of water to a saucepan, bring to a boil, and place a heat-safe glass bowl atop the saucepan. Then place the coffee and rosehip oil in the bowl.
- Heat the coffee grounds and rosehip oil in the double boiler/glass bowl for 30-45 minutes over medium-low heat. This allows the coffee to infuse into the oil.
- Strain the coffee beans out of the oil through a fine mesh strainer and then pour the oil back into the double boiler/glass bowl. Add in the cacao butter and beeswax pellets and stir until melted (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into your desired containers. Allow it to firm up at room temperature for a couple hours, or you can accelerate the process by placing it in the fridge.
- Store in a cool dry place and apply once daily (preferably at night or in the morning) to improve the skin around your eyes.