Have you ever opened up the fridge, only to be greeted with an unpleasant, pungent odor? For the most part, this doesn’t happen, but some fridges definitely have those odors. Sometimes, the smell may be from last night’s takeout, garlic or onions, or something that went bad. Whatever the smell is, you don’t want it in your fridge anymore. The DIY deodorizer in this article can help quickly combat those odors.
You don’t have to attack your fridge with all sorts of chemicals and air freshener sprays. There’s no need to pollute all your food! All you have to do is combine three all-natural ingredients and then boom, your odors will go away. Instead of that foul smell, you’ll smell a light, refreshing clean scent. You want to know the best part? You just place the combination of ingredients on a shelf in your fridge, close the fridge, and walk away.
Why does baking soda work to combat odors in your fridge? It’s a weak base that can act as an acid, depending on what it comes in contact with. The odors in your fridge are composed of food particles that float around and settle into other meals. By putting a box of baking soda in your refrigerator, you give those food particles something else to bond with. Because of sodium bicarbonate’s unique characteristics, it can attract both acidic and basic particles. When these particles bond with baking soda, the odor is neutralized. One thing to remember in regards to baking soda is that you should not cook with the same baking soda that you use to combat odors in the fridge. The reason for this is because the baking soda absorbs those food particles as part of the neutralization process, which can change baking soda’s taste.
Diatomaceous earth is an all-natural substance made up of silica from the shells of diatoms, which are microscopic pieces of fossilized algae. Mined from the sediment deposits in bodies of water, diatomaceous earth is an available resource that has been around for centuries. Some people use it as a natural pesticide, while others use it to deodorize shoes. When it comes to your fridge and unpleasant odors, diatomaceous earth may lend a helping hand. It works to soak up the unpleasant smells because it has absorbent qualities, just like baking soda. If you use diatomaceous earth to soak up foul smells, you need to change it every one to two weeks.
DIY Deodorizer For Your Refrigerator
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup food-grade diatomaceous earth
- 15 drops lemon essential oil
- Add the baking soda to a wide-mouthed glass jar. Make sure that you don’t use plastic because that won’t work well.
- Pour the diatomaceous earth into the same jar. It has to be food-grade, not pool-grade, diatomaceous earth. Stir to combine.
- When baking soda mixes with diatomaceous earth, they work together to combat the foulest odors!
- Finally, add the lemon essential oil to the jar and mix to combine.
- Place the jar on a central shelf in your fridge. You don’t want someone to grab it and eat it by accident. Just make sure the jar has lots of air flow! Replace every couple weeks.