People who suffer from dandruff dread the signature dry flakes and itchiness. Caused by an excess of oil on the scalp, the struggle of flakiness is real. Malassezia, a yeast that occurs naturally on the scalp, feeds off the excess oil and creates dry flakes. Some people opt for “magic” elixirs or over-the-counter shampoos to help remedy the issue. Many of these products contain harmful, toxic ingredients that your scalp absorbs.
If plaguing the scalp with harmful chemicals isn’t an attractive plan of attack, there’s no need to go that route. You can choose a more natural option by incorporating essential oils into your scalp care routine. The one thing to keep in mind about essential oils is that you should not apply them directly to the skin, as they can cause severe irritation. Dermatologists recommend that you dilute essential oils in carrier oils like olive oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, or jojoba oil.
There are many essential oils that have been scientifically proven to benefit the scalp. Continue reading to learn more about them.
Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil exhibits powerful anti-fungal properties that work to address the overactive fungal activity on the scalp. This is the origin of dandruff and targeting it can help remedy the situation. Rosemary essential oil also has astringent and decongesting properties that reduce the amount of excess oils, flakes, and build-up on the scalp. Finally, rosemary also promotes hair growth, making it an excellent ingredient to any hair care routine.
Cedarwood Essential Oil
Just like rosemary essential oil, cedarwood essential oil contains anti-fungal properties and it helps to manage oil production on the scalp. It also exhibits cleansing, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties, making it an excellent choice for people with dandruff. Cedarwood helps to soothe scalp irritation and may keep infection-causing bacteria or fungi away. This is especially important if you already have an itchy scalp.
Tea Tree Oil
The great and powerful tea tree oil is revered by many a beauty enthusiast, and for good reason. It offers powerful anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that help ward off bacteria or foreign invaders on the scalp. It helps to address the root cause of dandruff, making it top the list of essential oils that reduce itchy scalp. Tea tree oil also helps to unclog hair follicles that contain excess oil build-up, hair product residue, and dead skin cells. Although hair follicle build-up isn’t the cause of dandruff, it can worsen he problem.
DIY Dry Scalp Remedy
- 8 drops tea tree oil
- 8 drops rosemary essential oil
- 6 drops cedarwood essential oil
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 4 ounces almond oil
- Add all of the ingredients to a glass container (like a jar) and mix well to combine.
- You can mix the concoction with a small whisk or simply screw on the top of the jar and shake vigorously.
- Before you use it, shake it up and and then massage a small amount into your scalp. Leave it on for 20 minutes before washing out with a natural shampoo.
- If your scalp is very dry, you can leave the mixture on overnight and wash out in the morning.
- This batch makes about two to three applications, but you can double the recipe for a larger batch. Keep in mind that it will stay fresh in an airtight glass jar for up to 10 days.