Sometimes, you look at your skin and think, “Goodness gracious…I can’t leave the house with this dry skin.” It can feel unfair to look at people who have silky smooth skin that glistens in the light. It just looks so healthy, right? Maybe they tapped into the secrets of skin care, or maybe they use powerful natural ingredients to promote natural moisture. Yeah, we like that last theory.
Body butters have increased in popularity, and for good reason! Most body butters are made with Shea, cocoa, and mango butters, all of which are immediately absorbed by the skin, giving it a beautiful glow that makes you scream, “My skin is soooooooo hydrated!” What you lather on your skin should be beneficial, not harmful like most chemical skin care products. Parabens and other preservatives have been linked to certain cancers, whereas cocoa, Shea, and mango butters have been linked to sufficiently moisturized skin. This hydration can be attributed to their emollient properties.
All body butters contain omega-3 fatty acids, which have moisturizing properties and help to reduce inflammation. Shea butter also contains vitamins A, E, and F, which nourish the skin and promote moisture retention. The oleic, stearic, palmitic, and linolenic acids in Shea butter also help increase the skin’s natural production of collagen, which prevents the skin from drying out.
What’s Up With Citrus Fresh Essential Oil?
Why choose between lemon, orange, or grapefruit essential oils when you could have a combination of mandarin, tangerine, lemon, orange, spearmint, and grapefruit essential oils? Citrus fresh essential oil is a fantastic blend that contains beta-pinene, linalool, and limonene, all of which help to support healthy skin tone. For those who enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy, inhaling citrus fresh essential oil vapor has been known to promote relaxation. Many people use it to wind down before bed.
Citrus Body Butter
- ½ cup organic Shea butter
- ½ cup organic mango butter
- ½ cup organic coconut oil
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 20-30 drops citrus essential oil
- In a double boiler, or heat-safe glass bowl over a pot of simmering water over medium-low heat, combine Shea, mango, and cocoa butters with the olive oil. Stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the essential oil. Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes and then refrigerate it for one hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and blend the mixture with an electric hand mixer until it is fluffy.
- Spoon the body butter into a tin or glass jar and cover. Store in a cool dry place and use as necessary to moisturize the skin.