Have you ever noticed a foul smell in the kitchen? There are a few potential sources, but when you scrub away on those dishes or wipe down the sink area the smell intensifies. You may even put your face down into the sink and realize that the source is your garbage disposal. Don’t worry, because this is an extremely common occurrence. How do you get rid of the smell, though?
Some people have their tricks to get rid of foul garbage disposal odors, but not many last for very long. Fortunately, you can use all natural disposal fresheners that help eliminate smells and bacteria. The great thing about the freshener pods in this article is that they take less than an hour to make. They are completely natural and safe for the environment. Another major plus is that they won’t release harmful chemicals into your home. How do they do that? Continue reading to find out!
Baking soda has a long list of benefits, and it seems that more and more people find unique ways to use it. On its own, baking soda can help remove odors from almost anything, be it a damp carpet or funky garbage disposal. Sprinkling baking soda in shoes can also help reduce fouls odors. The reason it can do this is because most smells are acidic. Baking soda is a natural base, helping to neutralize the acids that cause bad smells.
Salt is a mild antiseptic that works to cut through grease. It also has the ability to lift stains and eliminate odors. The great thing about salt is that it’s non-toxic, inexpensive, and readily available. Some people pour rock salt and ice down the garbage disposal and run it to help clean grime or bacteria off the blades. This powerful duo also helps to break up or dislodge food particles and excess debris in the disposal.
Lemon Essential Oil
Each essential oil has its own set of benefits that can benefit your body or home. Many people use them for aromatherapy benefits, but some are beneficial for non-toxic cleaning products. Lemon essential oil, for example, exhibits a powerful aroma that contributes to a fresher smelling space. The astringent and disinfectant properties help to fight grime and eliminate funky or musty odors from the air.
DIY Garbage Disposal Fresheners
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3/4 cup liquid Castile soap
- 30 drops lemon essential oil
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- Pour the baking soda and salt into a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Add the Castile soap and essential oil to the same bowl, and then pour in the water, one tablespoon at a time.
- Continue to mix while you add the water until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- If you add too much water, you can add a little more baking soda to achieve the wet sand texture.
- Pack the mixture into a silicone ice tray so you have little cubes. Let the molds set for about 24 hours.
- Carefully pop them out of the molds and store the refreshers in a glass jar.
- When ready to use, pop one refresher into the garbage disposal. Run a steady cold stream of water into the disposal and turn on the disposal for one minute. You should find that the smell disappears.