Moisturizers have a long history of use in skin care routines. The legend is that Cleopatra bathed in milk because it moisturized her skin. While people aren’t bathing in milk these days, they do use moisturizers to help increase water content in the stratum corneum, which is the skin’s outermost layer. Moisturizing works to relieve dryness and help the skin appear healthier and younger.
Why Do Moisturizers Matter?
If the skin doesn’t have adequate moisture, it can have a dull, dry, or rough appearance. Many factors cause the skin to dry out, but the primary culprits are frequent bathing, environmental influences, and certain medical conditions. Moisturizing your face works to protect the skin’s barrier from irritation, while helping revive your skin from dryness. A moisturizer essentially creates a barrier between your skin and the climate, which benefits you during the winter because dry, cold air easily dries out the skin.
Moisturizing on a daily basis helps the skin maintain its balance, so you don’t end up with skin that is too oily or too dry. Dermatologists suggest that people with oily skin look for lotions instead of creams. In fact, finding a moisturizer with an exfoliant ingredient can be a wonderful option. People with dry skin tend to benefit more from creams because they have a higher oil content. The plump, firm feeling after applying moisturizer on your face is not just something you notice in the mirror. One study found that moisturized skin protects it from daily stressors and early signs of aging. Now, let’s take a look at a few ingredients in the moisturizer in this article that make it so great.
There are two types of almond oil: sweet almond oil and bitter almond oil. Sweet almond oil is better suited for your skin as it contains vitamins A & E, omega-3 fatty acids, and zinc. According to some clinical studies and anecdotal evidence, applying sweet almond oil on the skin can have a series of benefits. The oil’s fatty acid content may help dissolve excess oil on the skin, helping reduce the appearance of acne. Because sweet almond oil exhibits anti-inflammatory properties, it may ease swelling of the skin. It may also help to calm inflammatory skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is a common plant that some people refer to as “the miracle plant.” It has a diverse nutritional profile and can help improve immune function, aid digestion, and enhance the skin’s appearance. Unlike other moisturizing products, aloe vera gel doesn’t leave a greasy film on the skin after application. In fact, it works to unclog pores, soften the skin, and provide optimal hydration. Aloe vera gel is great to apply after shaving because it helps to heal razor bumps and reduce irritation from shaving.
Beeswax has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which work to fight acne and soothe irritated skin. It helps to soothe the skin by combating dryness, drawing moisture from the air and locking it into your skin. According to research, beeswax is effective at soothing symptoms from eczema and other inflammatory skin conditions.
DIY Healthy Facial Moisturizer
- 3/4 ounce organic beeswax pellets
- 1/4 cup sweet almond oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 10 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 1 cup aloe vera gel
- Place a double boiler over medium-high heat. Make sure you have about two inches of water in the bottom portion.
- Add the beeswax, sweet almond oil, and coconut oil to the top of the double boiler and allow it to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Once it is fully melted, pour the mixture into a heat-safe bowl and allow it to cool for about an hour or so at room temperature. The mixture should be somewhat hardened.
- Add the essential oil and aloe vera gel to the bowl and then use an electric mixer to whip the mixture together. It should transform into a thick, fluffy lotion as you whip it.
- Spoon this lotion into a glass jar and keep it under your bathroom sink or medicine cabinet in your bathroom. Store leftover lotion in an airtight glass jar in the fridge. Use as needed.