Once you make the switch to DIY skin care products, it’s hard to imagine how you made it through life using commercial products that are filled with chemicals. Your skin is delicate and deserves the best ingredients, as opposed to the chemicals from shaving creams, lotions, or creams that clog pores or leave dry patches.
The shaving cream in this article is everything you want from a store bought shaving cream and more. Not only is it fluffy and creamy, but it also leaves your skin hydrated and moisturized after a shave. Additionally, most people find that it reduces cuts, irritation, and razor bumps. Both men and women can use this shaving cream because the scent can be altered by using different essential oils. If a man wants to smell like he just emerged from the wilderness, use cedarwood essential oil. If a woman wants to smell floral, delicate, and serene, use lavender essential oil. Both sexes can use either essential oil; the choice is entirely up to you.
Benefits Of Olive Oil For The Skin:
Often referred to as “liquid gold,” olive oil is rich in fatty acids and antioxidants, which are beneficial for heart health. Olive oil can be used on the skin, though, and the high fat content helps to provide long-lasting moisture. Many people find that olive oil helps remedy areas of dry skin because it works to lubricate and hydrate the skin without clogging pores.
Benefits Of Cocoa Butter For The Skin:
Cocoa butter is not only intended for decadent desserts, folks. It is widely used in various skin care products, and the medicinal properties of cocoa butter have been used by various civilizations for over 3,000 years. Similar to olive oil, cocoa butter is naturally rich in fatty acids, which help to improve skin elasticity. Cocoa butter works to hydrate the skin and the inherent fats form a protective barrier that help the skin retain moisture. Additionally, cocoa butter contains phytochemicals, which may slow the signs of aging by protecting the skin from UV damage.
Benefits Of Coconut Oil For The Skin:
Here’s another oil that is incredibly rich in fatty acids, specifically medium-chain fatty acids, also known as MCTs. These contain antimicrobial properties that can help protect the skin from harmful microorganisms. One study found that the antibacterial properties in coconut oil were effective at preventing the growth of over 20 bacterial strains on the skin. Many people have been applying coconut oil on the skin to help reduce eczema, psoriasis, and contact dermatitis.
DIY Shaving Cream
- ¼ cup unrefined virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup organic cocoa butter
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons castile soap
- 20 drops cedarwood or lavender essential oil
- 4 drops tea tree oil
- Melt the coconut oil and cocoa butter until they are fully liquefied. Stir to combine.
- Pour this melted mixture into a large mixing bowl and slowly add the olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge until the oils are halfway solidified.
- Remove from the fridge and whip the mixture with an electric hand mixture until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the castile soap and essential oils and whip more to combine.
- Store the shaving cream in a glass jar with a lid. You can keep it in a cool dry place. Use clean and dry hands when applying the mixture.
- If you are going to use it in the shower, keep in mind that it is made from oils, so the floor could get very slippery.