It is no secret that there is a direct link between stress and certain skin conditions. Psychological stress (i.e. worrying about money, work, making food, kids, parents, or anything) can aggravate the skin. For instance, a common side effect of stress is dark circles, especially when this is combined with lack of sleep.
The body can only handle so much before it becomes stressed. When certain pressures go beyond a person’s adaptive power, his or her brain understands that the body is stressed and releases stress hormones. This can lead to behavioral or physiological changes. Dark circles, for example, can be a physiological response to an overabundance of stress hormones in the body.
When it comes to naturally getting rid of dark circles, it is much easier remedy the situation when you treat the cause. If stress is causing you to sleep less and develop dark circles, it may be beneficial for you to practice some stress relieving exercises. Natural ways to eliminate stress include massage therapy, acupuncture, yoga, Tai Chi, meditation, exercise, or even eating a healthier plant-based diet.
Because it may take some time for you to naturally reduce your stress levels, we have a simple DIY skincare cream that you can use to remedy dark circles. It helps to hydrate your skin and decrease puffy eyes.
- ½ teaspoon beeswax
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- ½ teaspoon Shea butter
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- ¼ cup alcohol-free aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon organic raw honey
- ½ teaspoon bentonite clay
- 5-10 drops lemon essential oil
- Place the first four ingredients in a double broiler* and heat until the mixture is melted. Pour into a blender and let it cool.
- In a separate bowl, add the rest of the ingredients (except for the bentonite clay) and mix well.
- Once the mixture in the blender has cooled and become similar to the texture of lip balm, break it up with a spoon and add the mixture in the bowl to the blender. Blend until everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a non-metal bowl and stir in the bentonite clay with a non-metal utensil. Place the cream in a glass jar and store in a cool, dry place. Apply a little of this cream around your eyes every night before bed.
*If you don’t have a double broiler, you can place a heat-safe glass bowl over a saucepan that is filled with simmering water. Make sure that the heat is low once the water begins to boil.