What if you could relieve stress, soothe sore muscles, and improve the overall health of your skin at the same time? Well, you can if you soak in the relaxing bath salt mixture that’s in this article. Unlike your typical bath salt mixture, this recipe contains black salt, which comes from the salt mines in the Himalayas. It can also come from areas where salt mixes with lava rock, for example, in the Hawaiian Islands.
Historical Use Of Black Salt:
According to historians, black salt has been used in Ayurvedic practices for centuries. It’s a common healing ingredient because of the inherent medicinal properties. Anecdotal reports claim that it can help improve digestion, reduce muscle cramps, relieve heartburn, and eliminate toxins from the skin. Many scientists believe that the rich essential mineral content is responsible for these benefits. More scientific research is necessary to solidify these claims.
Types Of Black Salt
Black Lava Salt:
Commonly known as Hawaiian black salt, black lava salt has an earthy flavor and comes from the Hawaiian Islands. It’s not a common seasoning in dishes; rather, it works better as a finishing salt. It has a smoky aroma and offers robust flavor.
Himalayan Black Salt:
This salt is more common in cooking, especially in Indian cuisine. Known as Indian black salt, Himalayan black salt has a powerful smell that is reminiscent of sulfur. The smoky, savory flavor works well in rich stews or sauces, and the mineral content offers a wide range of medicinal benefits.
Black Ritual Salt:
Sometimes this salt is known as witches salt, but it won’t cast a spell on you. Well, it may enchant you with its benefits, provided you believe in the supernatural. This salt is not meant for ingestion, so please do not eat it. Some people sprinkle this salt under the bed or around the yard to ward off bad energy or evil spirits.
Black Salt And Your Bath:
Adding black salt to your bath offers numerous benefits for the skin. Once you mix it in with the bathwater, soak in it and gently rub your skin. This can help exfoliate and unclog your pores, whereby the minerals from the salt enter your pores to clean and nourish them. If you suffer from dry skin or cracked heels, black salt offers relief from the itching sensation. Many of the minerals have anti-inflammatory properties, which help to rejuvenate the skin. Lastly, the mineral content works to strengthen the hair and scalp, so don’t be afraid to sink your head back into the bath.
DIY Black Salt Bath Salt Mixture
- 1 cup Hawaiian black lava salt
- 1/4 cup magnesium flakes
- 1 tsp PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate
- 20 drops balsam fir essential oil
- 12 drops chamomile essential oil
- 8 drops lavender essential oil
- 1/4 tsp gold mica
- 1/3 cup dried marigold
- 1/4 cup dried jasmine buds
- Add the Hawaiian black salt to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the magnesium flakes and mica powder.
- In another small bowl, combine the Glyceryl Cocoate and the essential oils. Stir to combine.
- Pour the magnesium flake mixture and the essential oil mixture to the large bowl with the black salt. Finally, add in the dried marigold and jasmine buds and give the mixture a good stir to combine.
- Transfer the bath salt mixture into a large glass jar and store in a cool, dry place.
- When ready to use, add 1/3 – 1/2 cup of the bath salts to a warm bath and stir to dissolve. Soak in the tub for 15-20 minutes.