A healthy scalp can be thought of as the rich soil, in which plants can easily grow. If the earth, so to speak, is dry and unhealthy, the plants have a difficult time growing. Your hair can be equated to the plants in your garden, and water isn’t the only thing that nourishes the garden. The scalp needs to be oxygenated and free of harmful chemicals, which are typically in most commercial hair products, in order for healthy hair growth to occur.
How Do You Keep The Scalp Healthy?
There are several factors that contribute to a healthy scalp. The pH range of the scalp should be between 4-5 in order for the scalp to retain moisture. A scalp that is too basic/alkaline will result in dry hair, whereas the slightly acidic scalp helps ward off bacterial and fungal growth. Blood circulation also comes into play for scalp health, because blood brings oxygen and nutrients to hair follicles. Healthy blood circulation is like fertilizer for the plants in your garden.
Why You Should Detox Your Scalp:
A scalp detox works to exfoliate the scalp, remove dead skin cells, and promote healthier hair. The scalp detox in this article includes a hair mask that allows your scalp to breathe. Additionally, the detox helps to clean hair roots, follicles, and oil glands. You’ll find the ingredients for the detox and instructions below.
Important: Make sure to patch test the mixture before massaging it all over your scalp. Those who have more sensitive skin may need to opt for a different treatment.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a small glass bowl.
- Massage a generous amount of the mixture onto your scalp in a circular motion. Wrap a shower cap around your hair to completely cover your scalp and leave it on for about 10-15 minutes.
- Get in the shower and use a natural shampoo and conditioner to wash the mixture out of your hair. If you need ideas for natural shampoos and conditioners, click here.