Maintaining fresh oral hygiene should be of importance to everyone. We know some people are resistant to flossing, but keeping your mouth clean and healthy can protect you from gum disease, plaque, gingivitis, and tooth decay. While brushing and flossing are important, gargling with mouthwash can act as a secondary measure to keep your teeth healthy.
Commercial mouthwashes have tons of chemicals, which aren’t good for your teeth. Believe it or not, making your own mouthwash with turmeric is one of the best things you can do for your teeth. Because turmeric is filled with antimicrobial and antiviral properties, it works to remove plaque or any bacteria in your mouth.
Using turmeric mouthwash can help to naturally whiten your teeth and prevent plaque from accumulating. Additionally, turmeric can help to protect people from gingivitis and may be a great natural remedy for bad breath. To make the recipe, see the instructions below.
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 drops of peppermint essential oil (optional, but adds flavor)
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan and then add the turmeric and cloves. After adding these spices, remove from the heat and let the mixture infuse for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth into a glass jar, and then add the essential oil.
- Take a swig of the mixture and swish it around in your mouth for about 1 minute. Spit it out. Do not swallow this!
- Keep this fresh by storing it in an airtight jar in the fridge.