First thing’s first…Do Not Eat This! Seriously, please do not eat this. And don’t leave this out to be within your children’s reach because they may think it looks like a dessert. Now that we got that disclaimer out of the way, we can tell you how awesome this DIY body butter is.
This body butter works to make your skin softer because it has some amazing ingredients. The Shea and cocoa butters help to moisturize your skin, while the coconut oil works to repair dry skin and promote younger looking skin. Depending on what essential oils you add to this body butter, you may experience additional benefits. We enjoy tea tree and lavender essential oils.
Lavender has a very calming scent, which can benefit you if you are trying to induce a deeper sleep. One of the most widely used essential oils, lavender can be used in many ways. You can place a couple drops on the underside of your pillow for peaceful sleep, or place 3 drops on a cotton ball and place it in your closet to naturally repel moths.
Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil, also known as melaleuca oil, has powerful medicinal properties. You can make a natural cleaner, use it topically to sooth skin conditions, or even cleanse your yoga mat with it. If you have a rash, for example, pour 10-15 drops of tea tree oil in a warm bath and soak in it for about 20 minutes as a natural remedy.
- ¼ cup Shea butter
- ¼ cup cocoa butter
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup sweet almond oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil
- In a double boiler or sauce pain over medium-low heat, combine all of the ingredients, except the essential oils. Stir this mixture until it becomes liquid.
- Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool and set. Make sure it is set before completing the next step.
- Add the essential oils and whip with a stand or hand mixer, whipping until you get fluffy peaks. The mixture will not whip if you don’t let it set.
- Spoon this into a glass jar and store in a cool dry place, or in the fridge. Use on dry or cracked skin.