A lot of people buy cleaning products without thinking how they will affect their health. Most cleaning products are incredibly toxic and they are living under your sink! The more you clean your house with these items, the more you spread toxins around your house. That doesn’t seem right because they clean dirty surfaces, but the chemicals that clean germs are very harmful to the body.
Common household cleaning products include window cleaners, air fresheners, dish soaps, spot removers, carpet cleaners, fabric softeners, or multipurpose cleaners. These items can contain ammonia, chlorine, sodium hydroxide, triclosan, phthalates, or butoxyethanol. When you struggle to pronounce the ingredients, they may not be the best things to put in or around your body. Rather than increasing your risk of asthma, kidney damage, skin problems, sore throat, or other respiratory disorders, try using these natural cleaning recipes below!
Citrusy Dish Soap:
- 4 teaspoons washing soda
- 5 cups boiling water
- 5 tablespoons liquid castile soap
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 10 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil
- Dissolve the washing soda in the boiling water. Add the liquid castile soap and stir until everything is dissolved. Let this cool.
- When the mixture is cooled, stir in the essential oils and pour it into a bottle. It is important to shake well before you use it.
Herbaceous Drain Cleaner:
- ½ oz. dried thyme, ground
- ½ oz. dried rosemary, ground
- ½ teaspoon thyme essential oil
- ½ teaspoon basil essential oil
- 4 cups baking soda
- Place the ground thyme and rosemary, along with the essential oils, in a jar. Add the baking soda and shake vigorously. Make sure this jar is airtight.
- When you use it, run hot tap water down the drain for a few minutes. Shut off the water and slowly pour 1 cup of the powder down the drain. Wash it down with a little hot water, but let the powder work overnight and then rinse it in the morning.
All-Purpose Cleaning Spray:
- ¾ cup + 5 teaspoons distilled water, boiled
- 3 tablespoons +1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 drop liquid castile soap
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops pine essential oil
- 3 drops spruce essential oil
- 1 drop geranium essential oil
- Combine all of the ingredients into a spray bottle and shake well. Make sure you shake it up every time before you use it. Spray whatever surface you want clean and then wipe the germs away.