BANANA WALNUT DONUTS [VEGAN]
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ~2 ripe bananas, mashed (should be close to 2 cups total)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (or melted vegan butter)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, raw and unsalted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, mash the banana with a fork so it’s mostly smooth.
- Add the sugar, oil, water and vanilla to the banana and mix well.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir until it’s just combined.
- Spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray. Put a tablespoon of the walnuts in each donut mold and top it with a tablespoon of the brown sugar.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons of the banana cake batter on top of the walnuts and sugar and bake for about 8-9 minutes.
- Allow the donuts to cool for 5 minutes and then turn the pan over onto a cooling rack or parchment paper.
- Repeat steps 6-8 until all your batter has become donuts!
If you don’t have a donut pan, or don’t feel like donuts (WHO ARE YOU???) you can follow the same steps using a muffin tin. Increase bake time to 15 minutes, as you’ll need more batter for muffins.