BEST EVER FORBIDDEN RICE SALAD [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE]
- 1 cup forbidden rice, uncooked
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 scallions
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 3 Tablespoons walnuts
- Salt and Pepper
Miso- Ginger dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- juice of half lemon
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (sherry or ACV)
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon miso
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Boil the rice according to package directions or until soft, but not mushy (approx 25 min), let cool.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into ½ chunks. Use steamer basket (if you don’t have one, get creative- mine broke this week and I used a metal colander, worked perfectly!) and steam until potatoes are soft, but again, not mushy (5-7 min, depending on your steaming method). Let cool.
- While rice and potatoes are cooling, make the dressing. Mix all ingredients and beat with fork until emulsified.
- Chop walnuts into ½ inch chunks and add to warm pan. Toast until nuts are fragrant and slightly darker (be careful not to burn!) Once done, cool and add to mixing bowl.
- Chop scallions into fine pieces and add to mixing bowl along with the rest of the ingredients. Add the dressing and mix very well. Add herbs to garnish if you wish (I added a tiny bit of dill), as well as salt and pepper.