BUTTERY CORNBREAD SQUARES [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE]
Dairy Free, Gluten Free and Vegan
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free flour (or wheat flour, if not GF)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch chili powder
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 c maple syrup (or sugar)
- 1.5 Tbsp Vegenaise
- 1/4 c oil (avocado oil is great, but canola, grape seed, or coconut should work as well)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly oil 8″x8″ or 9″x9″ baking pan with a bit of neutral oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients, cornmeal through flax meal and stir. In a measuring cup combine the maple syrup, oil, and 1/2 cup water. Add to dry ingredients along with the Vegenaise and remaining water. Stir well to combine.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes until golden and knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool for another 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve. Enjoy with vegan butter (or salted coconut oil), chili, salad, you name it!