CHRISTMAS PEPPERMINT PATTIES [VEGAN]
Dairy Free, Kid-Friendly, Vegan and Wheat Free
- 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp light corn syrup
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Red and green vegan gel food coloring
- 16 oz vegan chocolate chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (if you do not have a stand mixer you could use a hand mixer) add 4 1/2 cups of the sugar, the corn syrup, water, vegetable shortening and peppermint extract. Beat until just combined.
- Remove the dough and turn onto a board that is sprinkled with the balance of the sugar. Knead the dough until it becomes a smooth ball. Divide the dough into three equal pieces and add red food coloring to one and green to the other. Knead the balls to incorporate the color. Divide each ball in half again. You should end up with two of each: white, red and green.
- Roll each ball into a snake shape. Place each between two sheets of parchment paper and roll them out into about 1/4 inch thick rectangular shapes with a rolling pin. You will end up with six sheets of dough. Be sure to make them wide enough to roll lengthwise. While still in the parchment paper, place the sheets in the refrigerator for about fifteen minutes to cool.
- Once cooled remove the dough from the refrigerator. Gently remove each sheet from the parchment paper and stack them on top of one another so that the colors alternate. You should have six layers in all: white, red, green, white, red green. Trim one end of the stack lengthwise in order to get a clean edge. Gently roll the dough lengthwise and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for one hour.
- When the dough is frozen remove it from the freezer, unwrap it and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Turn the roll slightly with each cut so the round shape is maintained.
- In a double boiler melt the chocolate. Using a dipping fork to dip the dough into the chocolate. Shake off the excess gently and place on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Once all are dipped, place the baking sheet in the freezer for the candies to set.
- Enjoy frozen, refrigerated or at room temperature. To store, separate the candies between sheets of wax paper in order to ensure they do not stick.
By: Lee Khatchadourian-Reese