CINNAMON COCONUT NEW YORK STYLE ‘CHEESECAKE’ [VEGAN, RAW, GLUTEN-FREE]
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour (use certified gluten-free if needed)
- 4 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or agave
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut butter (NOT coconut oil!)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple juice or water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup melted coconut butter (NOT coconut oil!)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (either homemade raw version or use canned low fat light coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or agave, room temp
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- First, prepare the crust by adding the oats to a food processor (or use storebought oat flour) and process into a fine flour. I add 2 cups of oats and process for 2 minutes until it is finely ground. Measure out 1 1/2 cups and add to a bowl.
- Add the remaining “crust” ingredients and stir until a crumbly, wet texture forms. Line an 8 inch cake pan with plastic wrap, with it hanging over the sides. You can spray the pan first with nonstick spray and the plastic wrap will hold in place. (8 inch is best for a taller cake) Press the dough into the bottom of the lined cake pan, evenly and flat around to the edges. Place in the fridge.
- To prepare the cake, melt your coconut butter to a complete liquid. It is important that it is a runny liquid when measuring, so the right texture is achieved. Make sure to measure it out at 1 cup after melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the milk, syrup, lemon juice, vanilla and whisk until smooth. Stir in the cinnamon and salt. Now, pour in the melted coconut butter and whisk with a fork (works better than a spoon) until smooth and is thick like cake batter. Pour the batter into the prepared crust and place in the fridge to completely set. 1-2 hours should do it.
- Once set, just pull the cake out with the plastic wrap and slice. Top with coconut cream, cinnamon and strawberries, if desired. Keep cake stored in the fridge covered and it will retain the perfect shape that way.