While this cranberry sauce is a lighter version of a classic, it has such complex, bright flavors you’ll never miss all that sugar. It’s tangy, subtly sweet and gorgeously healthful. The maple syrup sets it up beautifully, and gives it that extra autumn and winter comforty flavor. So quick to make, it’s an any- day affair.
The gorgeous, saturated color that makes cranberries so attractive is also why they are amazing antioxidants. In that red color are the polyphenols- phytochemical that have some of the most potent antioxidant activity. Polyphenols may contribute to cardiovascular health, immunity, and play an important role in cancer prevention. So get those cranberries in- and without dairy, as dairy inhibits antioxidant activity.
So get this sauce on the stove and listen to the music of the popping cranberries- one of my favorite sounds! Serve up the sauce with your favorites, and bask in the warm Thanksgiving-like vibe without feeling like you need to open your pants.
CRANBERRY – PINEAPPLE SAUCE [VEGAN]
Dairy Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Sugar Free, Low Sugar, and Vegan
- 12 oz package cranberries
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tiny stevia spoonfuls (about 1/8 tsp)
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- Add cranberries, water, maple and agave syrups to a small pot. Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce to low-medium and cover partially, just so that the cranberries don’t splutter everywhere!
- After about 7-10 minutes, add pineapple and one tiny spoon-full of stevia, stir well to incorporate. Cook until pineapple is just soft enough and the water is fully incorporated. (in total, about 15 minutes)
- Check for sweetness, mix in the second spoon of stevia at this point if it’s too tart.