Nothing new about crunchy oven roasted chickpeas but maybe putting them in a taco might be? It’s a little bit Mexico meets Morocco via India, which may sound ever so slightly unappealing but believe me when I tell you it works! I had a hankering after chickpeas but didn’t fancy putting them in an actual curry, which is what I normally opt for (I do love a good chana masala) when it suddenly dawned on me I could combine several of my favorite things in one dish… tortillas, chickpeas and curry – with the ever essential fixings, of course, by way of avocado, tomato and sweetcorn. Oh, and don’t let me forget to mention the incredible new addition to our shopping list – vegan cheeses.
CRUNCHY CURRIED CHICKPEA TACOS
THIS RECIPE IS: Dairy FreeVegan
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
- 1 heaped tsp curry powder
- generous helping of seasalt
- good glug of olive oil
- Roast in oven for 20-30 minutes until crunchy, giving them a stir half way through. I would give you an exact temperature but seeing as I did mine in a camper oven that only has an on/off setting it wouldn’t be of much help. If I were to hazard a guess though, I would whack them in at 200 degrees celsius/350 fahrenheit and see how you go….
- Build the perfect taco: tortilla, good quality hummus, seasoned sweetcorn & diced tomato, crunchy curried chickpeas topped with avocado, hot sauce and ‘cheese’.
By: Aine Carlin