Looking for three healthy snacks that are gluten-free, allergy-friendly, paleo and detox-approved? Enjoy one of these dips with a flax cracker, celery sticks, red pepper slices for an afternoon snack. Snack healthy and kick the afternoon exhaustion to the curb.
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped￼
- 2 avocados
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Split the avocado in half and twist apart. Remove the pit. Scoop out the avocado meat with a spoon into a bowl. Add the red onion, garlic, cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne (optional). Mash with a fork.
2. Add chopped tomato and cilantro. Mix thoroughly and serve immediately. Note: It is best to serve the guacamole immediately. However if you plan to serve the guacamole within the hour, squeeze a bit of lemon juice to retain the bright green color of the avocado.
Pumpkin Seed Pate
- ￼2/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds, soaked for 8 hours
- 1 scallion
- 1 large celery rib
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lettuce leaf to use as a wrap (romaine, butter leaf, radicchio, etc.)
1. Add the pumpkin seeds, scallion, celery, garlic, thyme, sea salt, black pepper, lemon zest and juice, and extra virgin olive oil to a blender. Blend until well incorporated.
2. Assemble the wrap: Add 2 teaspoons of pâté to a lettuce leaf. Top with suggested pâté toppings. Roll and serve immediately. Suggested pâté toppings: shredded carrot, sliced avocado, sliced red pepper, chopped red onion, sliced cucumber, sprouts.￼
- ￼1 cup washed, loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, cilantro, or mint
- 2 sundried tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup quality, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- sea salt, to taste
1. Combine the basil, parsley, sundried tomatoes, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor bowl; pulse and process the mixture until it is finely chopped. Slowly add extra virgin olive oil in a steady drizzle as you pulse the processor on and off. Process until it becomes a smooth, light paste. Add enough olive oil to keep it moist and spreadable. Season with sea salt.
2. Cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to saturate the flavors. If storing overnight, pour a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil over the top of the pesto to help keep it bright green.
By: Rachel Feldman