This salad is a great way to pack a ton of vibrant greens into one dish. A sesame, ginger and lime dressing is paired with some delicious, nutty buckwheat noodles to tie it all together. It is the perfect meal to make on a Sunday night for supper, leaving you leftovers to keep in the fridge for lunch the following day. Just put the rest into a glass jar, with the dressing at the bottom and the avocado slices and leaves on top (so they do not get crushed). Then, put the lid back on, and it’s ready to go!
- 10 ounces buckwheat (soba) noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces broccoli florets or purple sprouting broccoli, asparagus or green beans
- 1 medium green cabbage or bok choy, leaves finely shredded
- 1 medium fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out with a spoon and flesh chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
- 2 handfuls of fresh greens (such as watercress, baby spinach, sliced lettuce or leftover cooked kale)
- 1 small handful of nuts (such as cashew nuts, peanuts or almonds) or seeds (such as sesame, sunflower or poppy seeds)
- 4 large handfuls of fresh herbs (such as cilantro, mint or basil, or a mixture), roughly chopped
- Grated zest and juice of 2 limes or 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1½ -inch piece of fresh root ginger (unpeeled if organic), finely grated
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- A pinch of cayenne pepper or chili flakes (optional)
- Sea salt and black pepper
2. When they are tender, drain and rinse under cold water for 15 seconds. Drain again and then toss in the EVOO in a large serving bowl to stop the noodles sticking together. Set aside.
3. Using the same pan, after a quick rinse, steam the broccoli (or other vegetable), covered with a lid, in 4 tablespoons of boiling water for 4 minutes until tender.
4. Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl or shake in a jam jar with the lid on. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then drain.
5. Add the raw vegetables, spring onions and avocado to the noodles with the greens and steamed broccoli. Pour over the dressing and mix everything together. Top with the nuts or seeds, toasted in a dry pan for a minute if you like, and the fresh herbs.