A lot of people tend to shy away from eggplant. When cooked wrongly it turns spongy and sometimes soggy. This burger has a chia seed and coconut flour coating for a crunchy bite. They’re really easy to make and the vegan mayonnaise perfectly compliments it. Add a bit of your favorite hot sauce to the mayonnaise for a nice kick!
HEARTY EGGPLANT BURGER WITH HOMEMADE VEGAN MAYO [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE]
- ⅔ of a cup raw macadamia Nuts
- ⅓ of a cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅔ of a cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅔ cup raw cashews
- Salt to taste
- Hot Sauce (optional)
- 1 eggplant (washed, cut into ½ inch slices)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour (other flours work too)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ¼ of a cup cold, unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 5 gluten-free burger buns (toasted)
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil of choice (no olive oil!)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 1 avocado (smashed)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- Process all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Add a few drops of hot sauce (optional).
- Store in refrigerator, covered, for up to a week.
- Slice the eggplant into ½” slices. Rub salt on each slice and set aside.
- Mix chia seeds, flour, and garlic powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Rise of eggplant slices and pat dry.
- Dip each eggplant slice into flour mixture. For a ticker coating, dip in flour then milk, then again in the flour.
- Fry each eggplant slice in a pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, flipping then slices occasionally. Repeat with all eggplant slices.
- Assemble burgers by spreading smashed avocado on the bottom burger and the mayonnaise on the top bun. Top the bottom bun with two cooked eggplant slices. Add Tomato, onion, and lettuce.