HEARTY TWO-LENTIL SOUP WITH MUSHROOMS [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE]
Dairy Free Nut Free Soy Free Vegan and Wheat Free
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Several generous grinds fresh black pepper
- 2 grinds pink salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1/4 cup small red lentils
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 package crimini mushrooms, sliced (depending on how much you like mushrooms. I use the full package.)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onion in olive oil with a grind of pink salt for about one minute.
- Add the garlic, cumin, pepper and salt and saute for another minute.
- Add the green lentils, bay leaves and vegetable broth. Cover the pot and bring to a boil (you’ll want to remain around medium heat but still a rolling boil. Make sure the heat’s not up to the boil-over range!) Stir occasionally for about 20 minutes, until the lentils have softened a bit.
- Lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add red lentils, carrots and mushrooms. Continue simmering. The soup will be done in 5-10 mins so check carrots and lentils for done-ness after 5 minutes. The red lentils should fall apart, but the green ones should just soften.
- Add nutritional yeast, stir and if you have the patience, let the soup sit for about 10 minutes for flavor-melding potential. But if that aroma has you drooling, dig right in.
By: Lauren Krohn