KALE AVOCADO WRAPS WITH SPICY MISO-DIPPED TEMPEH [VEGAN]
Dairy Free and Vegan
- 3 tbsp. white miso paste
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. agave or maple syrup
- black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. tahini, (optional)
- 1 package tempeh, sliced into 8 pieces
- chipotle powder
- 1 bunch kale
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, diced or thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced or diced
- 4 sprouted grain tortillas
- Whisk together miso paste, apple cider vinegar, agave or maple syrup, a few dashes black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil until smooth. You can also add 1 tsp. tahini (adds a nutty flavor and added richness), but it’s totally optional. This dressing will be used for the salad and for the tempeh.
- Heat the oil in your sauté pan.
- Dip about half the tempeh log into miso dressing – it should coat it nicely. (If your dressing is too thin, try adding in another spoonful of miso paste)
- Lay dipped tempeh logs on hot pan, then sprinkle each log with a few dashes of chipotle powder and black pepper. Allow logs to cook for about a minute on each side or until all sides are caramelized and browned, being careful not to blacken and burn the tempeh.
- Remove from pan, transfer to plate and set aside to cool.
- Remove kale leaves from thick stems and chop into small pieces.
- Wash kale well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Transfer kale to a large bowl and toss with the dressing and onions. You can add in any other vegetable you may have on hand — carrots, cucumber, celery, radishes.
- Fold in tomatoes and avocado or add as toppings later.
- Use about 1/2 cup kale salad, a couple of tempeh logs and a few slices of tomato and avocado. Wrap and serve or store in the fridge until ready to serve. You can serve stored wraps chilled or warm in the oven before serving.