KALE SALAD WITH CHILI LIME ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND GARLIC SRIRACHA VINAIGRETTE [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE]
- 1 head kale, stems removed and leaves torn into small pieces.
- seeds of 1 pomegranate
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups peeled & diced butternut squash – about 1 large squash (You can even buy this pre-peeled and cut at some grocery stores)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- chili lime seasoning
- garlic flavored salad dressing
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- First prepare your butternut squash. If you are using a whole butternut squash, peel your squash, remove inner seeds with a spoon, and cut it into cubes. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil, a little sea salt and 1 Tbs chili lime seasoning (I always use a ziplock bag for this step). Place on a large baking sheet covered with aluminum foil and bake, tossing occasionally, until edges begin to brown, about 30-40 mins. I sometimes broil them for a few minutes right at the end to get them nice and crispy but that is purely optional!
- While your squash is cooking, cook your quinoa. In a large saucepan over medium high heat add 2 cups of quinoa to 4 cups of water. Cover and let cook until all the water is absorbed, about 20 mins.
- While your quinoa is cooking, prepare your carmelized onions. In a medium sized saute pan over medium high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and let it begin to simmer. Then add diced onions and a dash of salt and pepper. Stir to coat and let cook down, stirring occasionally until golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once your quinoa is done cooking, toss it in a large bowl with kale pieces, caramelized onions, and a generous drizzle of dressing and Sriracha to taste. Taste and adjust dressings according to taste.
- Top with cooked butternut squash, avocado slices, and fresh pomegranate seeds.