KIDNEY BEAN AND KALE BBQ BURGER [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE]
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can white kidney beans (cannellini beans)
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (I like the hickory flavor)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp oregano
- salt/pepper to taste
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup oats (use certified gluten free oats if needed)
- Burger buns and toppings: BBQ sauce of choice, pickles, kale leaves, and/or whatever burger toppings you like.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flax meal and water and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the beans a few times to start to break them down, but don’t puree them!
- Add to the food processor with the beans, the kale, carrots, tahini, tomato paste, vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke, smoked paprika, and oregano and pulse until combined, but still a little chunky.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and taste for seasoning. Add salt/pepper and any additional seasonings if needed.
- Add the panko bread crumbs, oats and the flax “egg” to the mixture and stir well until fully incorporated.
- The mixture should form easily into balls and hold together well. (If it is too wet, add a tbsp more panko or oats. If it is too dry and crumbly, add another tbsp of tomato paste or tahini. Mix again.)
- Using your hands, scoop up about ¼-1/3 cup of the mixture and form it into a patty. (I like mine closer to slider size than full burger size.) Place the burger onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Bake the burgers for 35-40 minutes, flipping them over after 20 minutes. (After 20 minutes, the bottoms of the burgers should be nicely browned and they should flip easily, holding together well.) The burgers are done when they are nicely browned on both sides and crispy on the outside.