One of the main things Blossom and Blossom on Columbus are known for are seitan entrees. Hearty, full of protein, with a delicious texture, seitan is a Blossom staple, and a great replacement for meat in many traditional dishes. This one is great for a fancy home-cooked dinner for two.
LEMON SEITAN WITH CREAMY POLENTA [VEGAN]
- 6 palm-sized seitan cutlets
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium size shallot
- 1/2 medium apple
- 1/2 medium butternut squash
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1 tbs vegan butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Chop apple and butternut squash into 1/2” to 1” pieces.
- Chop garlic and shallots finely. Set apple, garlic, and shallots aside.
- Roast squash on well-oiled baking sheet until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Dredge seitan cutlets in flour, taking care to cover fully.
- Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a sauté pan on high heat.
- Add seitan and sauté until tender, then set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the finely chopped garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Once boiling, add polenta, reducing heat and simmering for 3 minutes, stirring frequently until water is absorbed.
- Heat 2 tbs of olive oil in a sauté pan on high heat.
- Add shallots, and sauté until golden brown.
- Add roasted squash, apple, lemon, sake, and vegetable stock. Stir for approximately four minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate with a layer of polenta on the bottom, roasted apple and squash next, and top with three seitan cutlets for each serving. Pour on the excess sauce, and enjoy!