PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM BLT SANDWICH [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE]
Portobello Mushroom Bacon:
- 1 thinly sliced portobello mushroom (crimini will also work)
- 3 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (see notes)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp molasses (or more maple syrup, molasses adds darker notes)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp chili powder (or 1/4 tsp for more spice)
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp clove
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tomato
- 2-4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 slices of your favorite bread, toasted
- Mix all of the ingredients for the portobello mushroom bacon except for the first ingredient (the mushrooms). Stir well and set aside.
- Lay the sliced mushrooms into a skillet and pour the bacon flavor mixture over the bacon.
- Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms have cooked down to about half their original size or until the liquid has absorbed and browned on the mushrooms.
- While the mushrooms are browning, mix your mayo and set aside.
- Toast your Ezekiel bread (or bread of choice) and spread the mayo on each slice.
- Thinly slice the tomato and layer the tomato and lettuce leaves on the bread. Then, top with bacon.