PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM BURGERS [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE]
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic flakes (or option for fresh garlic)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large tomato (sliced)
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- 1 cup pea shoots (sprouts)
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- Slice the mushroom stems off (option to save for dressing) Slice about 1/2 inch of the mushroom top off (as if slicing a bun).
- Combine the balsamic, soy sauce or tamari, garlic, basil, oregano and pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
- Place the mushroom caps on a cookie sheet with foil and a little coconut oil (to prevent sticking).
- With a large spoon pour the marinade over each mushroom cap and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Farenheit.
- Bake the mushrooms for about 10 minutes. Check and see if they are done – otherwise flip them and bake another 10 minutes. ** I used a conventional oven and only cooked them 10 minutes on one side and they were all done. **
- Place the bottom of the mushroom cap on a plate – add your choice of toppings and top with the top portion of the baked mushroom cap.