PUMPKIN PIE WITH SPECULOOS CRUST [VEGAN]
Dairy Free and Vegan
For the filling:
- 1 +1/2 can pumpkin puree
- 1.75 punches firm tofu
- 1-2 tbsp arrowroot powder (more makes the pie firmer–choose how gooey you like your filling)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut cream (or scoop the fat out of a chilled can of full-fat coconut milk, not shaken or stirred)
- 2 tsp mixed spiced (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the crust:
- 1 cup speculoos biscuits
- 1/3 cup vegan margarine or fat spread
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Blitz the biscuits in a food processor until they have become a fine, sandy powder. Add the vegan margarine and keep on processing until the powder starts to clump together. Transfer to a buttered/lined springform pan and press the crust mixture down with your fingers, making sure it forms a solid base. Don’t worry too much about pressing it to the sides. Leave it in the fridge to set while you get on with the filling.
- In a food processor or blender, whizz together the tofu and maple syrup until you obtain a smooth paste. Transfer this to a mixing bowl and add the rest of the filling ingredients, using a spatula to fold them in. Have a taste to make sure the spices are to your satisfaction.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Do make sure to let the pie cool before you attempt to release it from the springform; while it is hot, the base will be fragile and the filling may not have set completely. Your patience will be rewarded in the end, I promise.
By: Clémence Moulaert