Yes, a dehydrator is needed to make these incredible crackers and soaking time for the seeds is involved, but oh it’s so worth it!! I make a good size batch so I don’t have to do it often – yet they are yummy and go fast!!
RAW PUMPKIN SEED CRACKERS WITH SPINACH [VEGAN, RAW, GLUTEN-FREE]
- 2 cups sunflower seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup ground flax seeds
- ½ package spinach (I usually get my organic spinach in the plastic containers) or you can use kale
- 4 – 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 jalapeños (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 Medjool dates
- I like to put the sunflower seeds in the processor first and give them more time to process then the rest of the ingredients. Process them for a little bit first – until small chucks or almost fine.
- Throw the rest of the ingredients into a processor and process until chunky yet not big chunks.
- Put mixture into a bowl and stir in approx. 2 cups water and mix well. Let sit overnight – even 24 hours is better if possible (starts a bit of the fermentation process at that point ).
- Stir well to see how dry it is as after sitting, it may need a little more water. You want the mixture to stay together well, not be too dry and definitely not runny.
- Spread out on flex sheets in the dehydrator (I like these crackers a little thicker than regular crackers, so not too thin) and score with a knife into squares – the size you choose.
- Dehydrate approx. 12 hours, flip sheets and continue to dehydrate approx. another 6 – 12 hours depending on the thickness – since I like these crackers on the thick side, it does take a little longer. These are so good with many different raw spreads, hummus or even just coconut oil.
- Keep in an air tight container and they will last for several weeks.