ROASTED TOMATO AND CHICKPEAS STEW [VEGAN]
Dairy Free and Vegan
- 1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 little bunch of parsley or cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 13.5-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2-4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt, to taste
- Coconut yogurt, for serving
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Harissa, for garnish
- Soak the chickpeas for at least 8 hours, then wash, and add them in a pot. Cover the chickpeas with water and bring to boil. When they’re tender, add salt, and remove from heat. Let them cool in the water. If you’re not going to use immediately, you can reserve them in a jar with their cooking water.
- Rinse the pot, add the oil, add onion, parsley, and cumin, and cook on low-medium heat until translucent.
- In the meantime, blend tomatoes with garlic. Pour this mixture into the pot when the other ingredients are cooked.
- Add the chickpeas and some of the cooking water, based on desired consistency for the soup. Bring it to a boil and cook until it becomes creamy and thick.
- Add paprika and some more salt if needed, then remove from heat.
- Serve topped with harissa, coconut yogurt, and chopped parsley.