Here is a unification of two of my favorite earthly things: buffalo wing sauce and burgers. Hearty, spicy and satisfying, these burgers are as filling as they are tasty. Serve them alongside some sweet potato fries and you truly have a match made in heaven.
SPICY BUFFALO QUINOA BURGERS [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE]
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 tin of butter beans, drained and mashed
- 1/2 a yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup porridge oats
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 1/3 cup buffalo wing hot sauce
- 1 tbsp. chopped oregano
- salt and pepper
- Burger buns, salad and condiments, to serve, plus LOADS of extra buffalo sauce
- Place the quinoa in a pot of water and simmer for about 20 minutes or according to packet instructions.
- In the meantime, whisk the flax meal in a small bowl with the hot sauce and leave to stand.
- In a baking bowl, mash the butter beans until they are just about broken down and still a little chunky.
- Place the oats in a food processor and pulse a few times to make a coarse flour.
- Chop the vegetables and add to the bowl of mashed beans along with the herbs, salt and pepper and flax seed/hot sauce. Once the quinoa is cooked and cooled down a little, stir into the mixture until everything is incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into 4 or 5 balls and squash into patty shapes. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 30 minutes at 400ºF/200ºC/Gas mark 6, flipping over after 15 minutes.
- Serve the burgers on fresh buns with your favourite toppings (I used guac, salad, hot sauce and sweet potato fries).