Traditionally speaking, ceviche is a cold dish featuring seafood with lime and cilantro to accent it. But, since when was traditional better? This version features steamed cauliflower instead of seafood, fresh, bright grapefruit and lime for a citrus kick and delicate, summery dill instead of the cilantro. The result is flavorful, light and completely satisfying for a light hors d’oeuvres at your gathering or a starter to a multi-course meal.
VEGGIE CEVICHE WITH DILL [VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE]
- 2.5 cups cauliflower florets
- ½ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ cup diced seedless cucumber
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup chopped cherry tomatoes (any tomato variety would work, remove seeds if very liquidy)
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- ¼ cup fresh chopped dill
- ½ avocado, diced
- Steam cauliflower florets until just tender, about 7-8 minutes.
- Combine cauliflower with grapefruit and lime juice, diced jalapeño and diced red onion in a large bowl. Set in fridge for 30 minutes to marinade, mixing once or twice to ensure all ingredients are getting covered in juices.
- Meanwhile, prep/chop all other ingredients.
- After cauliflower mixture has marinaded, add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Use a slotted spoon to serve, but I like to keep any leftovers in the marinade to keep the flavors mingling.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving time.