4 Tips To Slay Your New Year’s Resolutions

4 Tips To Slay Your New Year’s Resolutions

With the New Year fast approaching, people are scrambling to get their ducks in a row and figure out their resolutions or goals for 2020. This can be a daunting task, especially when you are neck-deep in the holiday craze. The anxiety that comes with the holidays can sometimes linger around until February or March, and that’s no way to begin the year.

Some people have the desire to quit smoking, stop drinking, dedicate more time for self-care, or to begin meditating, but the primary resolutions remain the same: eat healthy and exercise more often. The blank canvas that is the New Year gives people an opportunity to write the next chapter in their lives, but what are the best ways to ensure that this year’s resolutions actually stick?

People go hard in the paint during the first couple weeks and often burn themselves out, deterring them from sticking with the resolutions they wanted to fulfill. Start slow and set goals that are attainable. You don’t want to set the bar too low; rather, the goals should be challenging but not so far out of reach that they seem impossible. Finally, taking control of your health means that you need to put yourself first on occasion. It’s perfectly normal to be selfish about your health because that means that you are taking it seriously.

Start Small

As you set sail toward your New Year’s resolutions, start small and build on what you accomplish. If your goal is to exercise more frequently, don’t make the unrealistic resolution to hit the gym seven days a week. Not only will this deter you from going to the gym, but it also doesn’t give you enough time to recover between workouts. Exercise for three days a week for an hour per workout to start, and then add more days when you want more of a challenge.

Plan Ahead

You can employ this tip starting now and utilize it throughout the year. It’s never a bad idea to plan, no matter what your resolution is. Statistically, only 8% of people stick to their resolutions, while the remaining 92% abandon them within the first month of the year. Write out your plan and experiment with variations of that plan to figure out which works best for you. If you want to eliminate meat, start out with Meatless Mondays before cutting meats and poultry out of your diet completely. Update your plan by researching plant-based recipes and eating at vegan restaurants to see what you can create with healthier foods.

Rest And Recovery

Whether you are trying to become a fitness god, get a new job, finish a book, or maintain a consistent eating schedule, rest and recovery always factor into reaching your goals. Without proper rest, the body cannot properly recover, thereby decreasing energy levels, influencing poor eating habits, and increasing stress hormones. Aim to get seven or eight hours of sleep each night and mix in some sort of mindfulness practice, like meditation or yoga, once a week to help you reset.

Ask For Support

You will undoubtedly encounter moments when you feel like giving up. You may not be able to summon the strength to write a page in your novel or head to the gym, but don’t stress out because of this. Accept that things don’t always go as planned, but the backup plan to this is to have a healthy support system. Be it a therapist, a group of friends, or a support group, talking to people about your strategies and goals can motivate you to get out of the slump you’re in. These people may also be able to help you identify weaknesses and point out areas in which you thrive, helping you to rethink your approach to slaying your resolutions.