You need fuel to exercise, but getting your fuel from processed, sugar-laden “healthy” bars is not beneficial for your body. Eating those bars or snacks only means that you have to work harder to burn them off, especially because it is difficult for your body to process those foods. You are better off making your own energy-boosting snacks, like the one in this article.
When you find out how simple it is to make this snack, you are going to regret not knowing about it sooner. It is beneficial because you will be getting complete protein from plant-based sources. The body can absorb plant-based protein more easily than animal protein, and you will notice that in your workouts.
Before we share the recipe with you, here is a little bit about the star ingredients:
Steel Cut Oats
Regular, unflavored steel cut oats are a power food, being a great source for plant-based protein and fiber. Additionally, steel cut oats contain compounds that help reduce blood pressure. They have a low glycemic index, which makes this a great option for diabetics. They can be made the night before to cut back on time and you can add your own 100% real fruit for an added nutritional boost.
Chia seeds are a complete protein. When we say “complete,” we mean that the protein source contains the 9 essential amino acids that the body can’t make on its own. When compared to other seeds and grains, chia seeds seem to have the highest amount of protein, between 19 to 23 percent protein by weight. One really cool fact about chia seeds is that they can absorb more than nine times their volume in water or other liquid. This unique quality can help your body retain fluids and electrolytes, which can help you avoid dehydration.
We don’t talk about raisins that much, but they actually have some surprising health benefits. Make sure you buy raisins that are free of added sugars, preservatives, and sulfur dioxide. They are rich in iron, which is essential for metabolism and a healthy immune system. Raisins also have potassium, which helps to lower blood pressure by flushing excess sodium from the body.
What You’ll Need For The Snack
- ½ cup organic, creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup raw honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups steel cut oats
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins, unsulfured
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- In a large pan over very low heat, melt the peanut butter and honey together. When they are melted, remove from the heat, add the remaining ingredients, and mix until everything is combined.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of the mixture and form it into a little ball. Repeat this process until you are finished rolling the mixture. You might find it easier to mold these energy balls if you coat your hands in a little coconut oil.
- Store these in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag for up to a week.