Both men and women are affected by decreased libido. Whether it is age or underlying health conditions, roughly 32% of women and 15% of men lack the desire to have sex on a regular basis. When it comes to boosting your libido, all you need are the right foods to help you get back in the mood.
Having a decreased libido can be attributed to low testosterone, depression, stress, sexual dysfunction, being overweight, drug or alcohol use, or even sleep apnea. Most men with sleep apnea don’t realize that it can decrease testosterone levels. Low testosterone levels can also be the result of a poor functioning endocrine system.
Women can have low sex drive because of sociocultural influences (stress, media images, job, etc.), relationship issues, thyroid problems, fibroids, or edometriosis. Birth control pills and other forms of pregnancy prevention, which affect hormones, can also negatively affect a woman’s desire to have sex.
For both sexes, increasing the libido can often mean that lifestyle changes need to be made. A lot of foods in the Standard American Diet have been linked to decreased libido, primarily due to the hormones, antibiotics, and processed ingredients. Excess consumption of sodium-rich foods, which can lead to high blood pressure, can also decrease blood flow to sexual organs. Dairy products often contain synthetic hormones (phtalic acid esters), which negatively affect estrogen and testosterone levels. Finally, caffeine can increase cortisol levels and induce stress that decreases libido.
How To Increase Libido Through Food
Bananas contain bromelain, which is an enzyme that helps to reverse impotence in men and naturally increase the libido. Additionally, bananas are great sources of potassium and B-vitamins, which help to boost overall energy levels.
Men in India have been using cloves to help treat sexual dysfunction for centuries. According to a study in the journal of BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, clove extract helped to boost sexual activity in male rats. Cloves can also help to get rid of bad breath, which can’t hurt your love life. You can also combine the use of cloves with nutmeg or saffron for more libido-boosting benefits.
Vitamin C-Rich Foods
Vitamin C is one of the most important nutrients when it comes to collagen production, which naturally declines with age. The fact that your skin may not be as firm can make it difficult for men to maintain an erection, and may lead to looser vaginal walls in women. Boost collagen levels by eating vitamin C-rich foods like kiwis, bell peppers, parsley, Brussels sprouts, guavas, or citrus fruits.
A research study on ginseng was conducted to test its libido-boosting properties. The women in the study took ginseng for one month and 68% experienced dramatic improvement in their sex lives and libido. It is best to drink ginseng tea, as opposed to drinking energy drinks that claim to have ginseng. You don’t want the extra chemicals and sugar from energy drinks, which can decrease sex drive.
If you are looking to naturally boost your libido with a refreshing food, start eating watermelon. Although it is 92% water, the remaining 8% of nutrients are essential for sexual health. Watermelons contain citrulline, a phytonutrient that the body converts to arginine, which helps to boost nitric oxide levels in the body and relax blood vessels. This is essentially what erectile dysfunction medications do.
Fenugreek, which is available in herb and essential oil form, has been known to help increase male libido. The consumption of fenugreek has also been associated with balanced testosterone levels. It is better to cook fenugreek to avoid the bitter taste.
Finally, make sure that you are sufficiently hydrated because dehydration is a common cause of decreased libido. If you want to avoid vaginal dryness, fatigue, dull sexual desire, and headaches, drink your water, people!