When you hear the word “chamomile,” you immediately feel some sense of tranquility. It is a peaceful, relaxing herb that offers comfort and soothing, especially when you have a cold or sore throat. It’s incredibly versatile and has a variety of health benefits, but rarely do people use it for all that it has to offer. For instance, chamomile has the ability to reduce acne scars and provide relief from skin irritations. The antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-fungal properties make it the perfect ingredient for maintaining healthy skin.
Benefits of Chamomile
The antioxidants in chamomile help to brighten the complexion and give the skin a youthful glow, but they also work to protect the skin from free radical damage. Working to balance the skin’s pH level, chamomile helps to tighten pores, slow down the aging process, and accelerate cell and tissue regeneration.
Dark Circles Be Gone
People who throw away used bags of chamomile tea have been throwing away natural remedies for dark circles under the eyes. After drinking a cup of chamomile tea, place the tea bags in the fridge to cool them. When your eyes are feeling heavy or drained, place the chilled chamomile bags on your eyes to reduce puffiness and dark circles.
Are you at war with breakouts? Acne is typically related to impurities in the blood, so we suggest cleansing the blood to improve your complexion. If a cleanse is not in the cards at the moment, you can use dried chamomile flowers to help reduce scars, fight breakouts, and fade dark spots. The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties help to clear up your skin.
While chamomile is an impressive natural remedy, we would be lying if we said that it was the only star of the show for this face wash. Raw honey is an especially valuable cosmetic ingredient that works to even out skin tone, reduce acne, and heal scars. Because of the way honey is created, the natural enzyme activity and healing bacteria unite to generate powerful healing properties.
Benefits of Raw Honey
Lightening and Brightening
According to several studies, the exfoliating properties of raw honey help to reduce dark spots on your skin. Raw honey also works to remove dead skin cells, which make your skin look run-down and older. Washing your face with honey can help remove bacteria and cleanse the pores, making your skin brighter in the process.
Raw honey works to accelerate the body’s natural healing process. Many people use raw honey as a spot treatment for scars, or as a face mask to reduce acne scars. More research needs to be done on the scar reducing properties, but current research points toward the fact that raw honey is beneficial for burn scars and scars from deep cuts.
When you use honey for acne, especially acne that is on your face, it is crucial to use organic raw unfiltered honey. The reason for this is because raw honey contains healthy bacteria that work to cleanse pores, reduce inflammation and redness, and heal blemishes. Manuka honey is also beneficial for face masks or scrubs.
DIY Face Wash
- ½ cup unscented castile soap
- 75 cups filtered water
- 2-3 tablespoons organic raw unfiltered honey
- 8 teaspoons almond oil
- 5 tablespoons dried chamomile flowers
- 12 drops melaleuca essential oil
- 12 drops lavender essential oil
- 8 drops cold pressed rosehip seed oil
- 1 glass foaming soap dispenser
- Create a double boiler by filling a medium saucepan halfway with water and placing it over medium heat. Once the water is simmering, reduce the heat to low and place a metal bowl on the saucepan.
- Pour the almond oil into the bowl and stir in the chamomile flowers. Let this infuse for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the time has elapsed, remove from heat and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the oil through a cheesecloth into a glass jar. Set aside.
- Pour the water into the soap dispenser and then add the soap and infused almond oil. Screw the lid on the dispenser and shake to combine.
- Once the bubbles have settled, pour the honey, rosehip oil, lavender essential oil, and melaleuca essential oil into the soap dispenser.
- Tighten the lid, give it a shake, and dispense a foam dollop into your hand to cleanse your face after all that hard work.