Occurring mostly on the hands, face, knees, and elbows, eczema is a condition that causes skin to become inflamed or itchy, often resulting in dry or cracked areas. Some people confuse eczema with allergic reactions to plants or fabric, when eczema flare-ups are typically responses to food intolerances, hormonal imbalances, or digestive problems/leaky gut syndrome.
Types Of Dermatitis That Cause Eczema
The development of atopic dermatitis is typically attributed to a genetic mutation of the filaggrin protein in the skin. As the barriers between the epidermal skin cells break down, the skin becomes dehydrated and aeroallergens, such as dust mites or pet dander, can penetrate the skin. This often results in an inflamed area and itching.
This condition causes scaly or inflamed skin areas that have oil-producing glands, such as the scalp. Eczema in babies may commonly be caused by seborrheic dermatitis.
This group of skin disorders results in reactions that are caused by coming in contact with causative agents. The outer layer of the skin, the dermis, is affected and the reactions can either be acute or chronic. This type of dermatitis is always itchy and may need to be remedied with salves, creams, or dietary changes.
Featured Salve Ingredients
This is what gives the salve its thick, bulky texture, but that’s not why it is included in this DIY remedy. Beeswax works to form a layer on the skin, keeping the oils close to the skin to promote healing. Unlike petroleum-based skin care products, beeswax allows the skin to breathe and extracts water from the air to help hydrate your skin. Additionally, beeswax contains vitamin A, a nutrient that works to remove dead skin cells from the skin.
Rosehip Seed Oil
Rosehip oil is a nutritional gold mine, containing linolenic acids that the human body cannot produce. The omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids also help to regenerate skin tissue and reduce the inflammatory flare-ups of eczema. The fatty acids are able to penetrate the skin quickly, so that the skin can quickly absorb it and begin healing.
Helichrysum Essential Oil
This essential oil is beneficial for those with eczema because it is quite gentle for topical applications. Coming from a relative of the daisy flower, helichrysum essential oil helps to promote skin cell regeneration, which can help reduce redness and inflammation.
Ingredients For Salve:
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 5 tablespoons rosehip seed oil
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon sea buckthorn oil
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 10 drops helichrysum essential oil
- 8 drops geranium essential oil
- 2 drops tea tree oil
Instructions For Salve:
- Microwave the beeswax and shea butter in a heat-safe glass bowl or measuring cup for about 30 seconds, or until melted.
- Once it is melted, allow it to cool down before stirring in the rest of the ingredients. If you add the essential oils while it is still hot, the heat will cook off the oils. Make sure you thoroughly mix to combine all the ingredients.
- Pour into a heatproof container, like a glass mason jar. You should only need a four-ounce jar, but you may have some extra left over. Store in a cool dry place.
- This is a soft salve and it is easy to apply. The skin absorbs it quickly so you don’t have to worry about staining your clothes. Apply it a couple times a day to help reduce eczema.