When it comes to your oral hygiene, you should not be slacking with general maintenance. Your teeth are like helpless puppies and it is your job to take care of them. Leaving your teeth to fend for themselves can lead to a variety of oral health conditions such as tooth decay, gingivitis, halitosis, or gum inflammation.
The development of oral diseases is only the first sign of neglecting your oral hygiene. Some oral diseases can lead to the development of other diseases that affect the whole body. Keeping your mouth clean and healthy not only keeps your teeth in good shape, but it also helps out the rest of your body. Additionally, you won’t have to dread going to the dentist if you practice good oral hygiene.
Most commercial oral hygiene products are replete with a variety of chemicals. Rather than putting these chemicals into your body, there are many natural products that are beneficial for your oral and overall health. For example, there are numerous anti-inflammatory and antibacterial herbs that can keep your teeth and gums healthy. In fact, the natural rinses (below) can help remove tartar and reduce plaque build up.
Note: You still have to brush your teeth and floss, even if you use these natural mouth rinses. Sadly, there is no replacement for flossing and brushing. You can also brush with activated charcoal to naturally whiten your teeth.
Essential Oil Mouth Rinse
- 1 ounce peppermint essential oil
- 1 ounce spearmint essential oil
- 1 ounce lemon essential oil
- 1 ounce star anise essential oil
- Mix all of the oils in a dark bottle. When you are ready to use, add a few drops of the mixture to 4oz. of filtered water and rinse your mouth. Swish the mixture around and spit it out. Repeat until the water is used up.
- After you are done, rinse your mouth with water.
Mint & Rosemary Mouthwash
- ½ cup fresh rosemary
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 quart of boiling water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable glycerin (try to get the one made from coconut oil)
- Boil the water in a large pot. Once the water is boiling, turn off the heat, throw the herbs in, and let the mixture cool.
- Strain the liquid into a sterile bottle and pour in the vegetable glycerin. Cover and store in a cool, dark place
- Rinse your mouth with this solution once a day for 2 weeks and you should notice a difference in your oral health.
- 1 teaspoon dried goldenseal
- 1 cup hot water
- Boil the dried goldenseal in the water and then let the mixture cool. Strain the mixture into a sterile glass container and store it in the fridge. Rinse your mouth with this mixture 3 times a day to help keep your gums healthy.