The lemon is a small but powerful fruit. It is one of our favorite food items here at Dherbs, and for good reason! You can do so many things with one lemon. Whether you decide to flavor water, polish your furniture, or freeze the juice, the possibilities are endless.
Vitamin C, probably the most important nutrient in lemons, helps nourish the skin and fight free radicals in the body. Lemons also contain electrolytes, which help to keep you hydrated. Additionally, adding lemons to your diet is beneficial for achieving balanced pH levels in the body.
Below are a whole lot of home remedies that will help improve your overall health.
External Benefits of Lemon Juice
- If you get a nose bleed, squeeze fresh lemon juice on a cotton ball and fit it inside your nostril. The astringent properties will help to stop the bleeding.
- Lemon juice works to kill bacteria, which causes acne, on the skin and in your pores. The nutrients in the juice help to hydrate your skin and eliminate acne scars.
- While lemons are alkaline inside the body, the citric acid in them can help remedy cracked heels. Apply fresh lemon juice to your cracked heels at night, wear cotton socks, and rinse in the morning. Do this until the cracks go away.
- Mix lemon juice with raw honey to create an all-natural, antibacterial and moisturizing face wash. The same mixture helps to remedy insect bites or repel bugs from biting you.
Internal Benefits of Lemon Juice
- When you add lemon juice to your water and drink it regularly, it helps alkalize your body. It also works to encourage healthy digestion and ease constipation because citric acid works to cleanse the digestive tract.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice in warm water and drink this to boost the immune system. This helps to kill viruses, reduce aches, and supply nutrients that help fight off colds or flus.
- Using the lemon peel in your cooking can help reduce your risk of skin cancer. The limonene content also helps to cause apoptosis (cell death) in breast cancer cells.
- If you have a sore throat, gargle with lemon juice and warm water to help kill bacteria. This is similar and just as effective as gargling with salt water.
In Home Benefits
- Cleaning your wooden cutting board has never been easier. Disinfect your cutting board by scrubbing it with a sponge and fresh lemon juice. Let it soak in for a about a minute before rinsing it with hot water.
- If you have mold in your bathroom, lemon juice works to disinfect, clean, and deodorize the smell. The best part is that you don’t have to use chemical cleaning products. Squeeze lemon juice on the mold and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then scrub it away.
- Need to polish your wooden furniture? Mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in 16 ounces of vegetable oil. Apply this with a paper towel or microfiber towel and you’ll notice an instant shine.
- Kitchen, bathroom, and windowsills can become greasy. The citric acid in lemon juice will cut through grease like a hot knife goes through butter. It primarily works on non-porous surfaces.